Ferrymead Park is a multi-use public space in the eastern part of Christchurch with sports fields, wetlands and an important historical precinct. Ferrymead was the site of New Zealand’s first public railway, commissioned in 1863.

The wooden boardwalks and footbridges that give public access to the natural part of Ferrymead Park have done their time. Now recycled plastic Enduroplank™ is being used as the Christchurch City Council renovates the facilities, as other priorities in the earthquake-hit city allow. Enduroplank™ is the ideal material for such structures in the low-lying estuary environment of this part of Christchurch. Positive reports so far suggest the council will be looking seriously at using more recycled plastic as the major task of rebuilding the city continues.